Stress Less. Perform at Your Best and Enjoy the Trip while Racing Abroad
FLIGHT & ACCOMMODATION
I suggest booking your flight and accommodation at least 2-3 months in advance. Keep in mind that you are not the only one who will need a place to stay, as close as possible to the venue. Time is money! The longer you wait to book your flight and hotel, the more expensive it will cost you and you might end up paying 2-3 times more for the place in the woods, with bbed bugs under your mattress.
5 steps to SAVE BIG on Plane Tickets
The cheapest way to buy a plane ticket is to buy it at least 3 months in advance and directly from the Airline’s Website.
Use the following scheme that will save you few bucks and a lot of time:
- Define departure and return dates.
- Define the closest airport to the race venue.
- Register on one of the popular flight booking websites:
- Set a price alert for your destination and dates (guide to setting up a price alert). Once set, it will email you every time price changes. Because prices on plane tickets fluctuate from day to day, you can save yourself some money if you buy the tickets, when the prices are the lowest.
- Once the price is good, open the ticked and search for the airlines name and flight number. Purchase the ticket directly from the airlines website.
This is how I saved myself $100 off a plane ticket.
Choosing a place to stay is more complex than booking a flight. Many more variables come into play:
- Your Budget. How much are you willing to pay?
- Location. How close to the race venue are you willing to stay? Will you have a car or will there be a way to get to the race with your bags/gear?
- What’s around? After the race is over, you might want to go out to eat or see a movie. You might want to have a grocery store or a gym, pool close to you? Is it important for you to have some entertainment nearby?
- Do you travel solo? Will you travel with pet?
I found Airbnb to be one of the cheapest services to search for nice places to stay. Sometimes you can find really exotic offers that will add to your travel experience. Make sure you read the reviews and check the ratings.