7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Summary
Leaders are made not born. Leadership is a set of skills that can be learned by training, perception, practice and experience over time.
As human beings we all face the same basic challenges in our lives:
- Fear. We fear for the future, for loosing a job, for loosing the ability to feed ourselves and our families.
- Hopelessness. We believe we are victims of circumstances and we loose hope for better lives, better future. It sets us into depression and cynicism.
- I want it right here and right now. I want a big house, a fancy car, a model girlfriend or wife. I want it all right now and I sure deserve it.
- Lack of balance in life. We struggle to manage our time, or energy, our lives. Go in earlier, stay later, work harder, sleep is for weak, sacrifice your health, forget your family.
- Selfishness. What is in it for me? How can I get the most our it? Life is a race, a game, a competition and you better come to the finish first, no matter what the cost is.
- Fighting differences. They think differently, they’re wrong. The way I think and see the world is the only right way, let me teach you. We simply assume the way we see things is the way they really are and the way they should be.
We must look at the glasses through which we see the world, and the actual world we see. That glasses shape how we perceive and interpret the world and everything that happens to us. We see the world not as it is, but as WE ARE. The more aware we become of our paradigms and assumptions, the more responsibility we can take for our actions and our lives. Our paradigms, no matter if they’re correct or not, are the sources of our behaviors and habits, our relationships with other people. If we want to become more effective in life, if we want to become great leaders, we need to make significant change in our basic paradigms, the way we perceive the world. We need to develop fundamental principles and habits that will improve our personal effectiveness. Its a long and difficult process without any possible shortcuts.
Habits are very powerful factors in our lives. They are consistent, unconscious patterns that make us effective or ineffective. If we want to change a habit, we need to have theoretical knowledge, know how, and know why. It’s a painful process.
Studying and implementing the following habits into your life, will give you a strong lift-off boost to brake free from the pull of your old, ineffective and harmful habits and adopt new ones that will improve your personal effectives and make dramatic positive shift in your life.