Good news! Data scientists, data engineers and business analysts positions are in very high demand in the USA and North America. Don’t take my word for it and see the report published by Burning Glass Technologies:
This looks opportunistic. U.S. and Canadian job hunters express a lot of interest in data analyst positions. At the same time, many companies claim they struggle to fill those positions. Furthermore, most recent research indicates the programming language most potential recruits intend to learn is also the dominant language for data science: Python. The difficulty employers have filling DSA roles drives up salaries, and relative to other jobs, DSA jobs pay quite well. Some DSA jobs, such as Data Scientists and Data Engineers, demand salaries well over $100,000.
“Americans are most interested in data analyst jobs, with an average of 26,000 online searches per month”
Due to massive automation, networks are virtually running themselves. People with data science and data analytic skills are in demand to train the algorithms to run the networks. Data science is hot!
“… demand for data science skills will drive a 27.9 percent rise in employment through 2026…”The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Four years straight, Glassdoor nominated data scientist job as the number-one in the USA. Knowing how to interact and manipulate big data sets is going to be extremely valuable to your employer.
BEST PLACES TO FIND DATA ANALYST JOB in Canada
Research provided by the government of Canada suggests that data analyst professionals have different job prospects depending on their physical location in Canada. The map below highlights the hottest job markets for analysts in Canada.
Top 6 BEST and worst places to find data analyst jobs IN CANADA
Prince Edward Island
Newfoundland and Labrador
Best places to work as a data analyst (Break down by province)
- Lower Mainland–Southwest Region
- Thompson–Okanagan Region
- Vancouver Island and Coast Region
- Capitale-Nationale Région
- Estrie Region
- Laurentides Region
- Laval Region
- Montréal Région
- Montérégie Region
- Outaouais Region
- Moncton–Richibucto Region
- Saint John–St. Stephen Region
- Saskatoon–Biggar Region
- Regina–Moose Mountain Region
- Winnipeg Region
- Hamilton–Niagara Peninsula Region
- Kingston–Pembroke Region
- Kitchener–Waterloo–Barrie Region
- London Region
- Muskoka–Kawarthas Region
- Ottawa Region
- Stratford–Bruce Peninsula Region
- Toronto Region
- Windsor-Sarnia Region
How to acquire necessary data analytics skills?
Educational Institutions Certification programs
For example, Harvard offers an online program called Analytics Certificate Program for Business Leaders. In this program, students learn business analytics, emerging technologies, big data, and data visualization.
Top Technology Companies Certifications
- Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
- Certified Analytics Professional
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
- EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate
- Microsoft Certified Azure Data Scientist Associate
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Management and Analytics
- Open Certified Data Scientist
- SAS Certified Data Scientist Using SAS 9
Data analyst salaries
According to Indeed, the average salary for data scientists is around $104,000. That’s average and does not include bonuses and extras. On the lower side, Advanced-HR, a San Francisco-based source of compensation data from venture capital and private companies, indicates that compensations for entry-level data scientists in North America fluctuate between $55,000 and mid-$70,000, however, can reach $100,000 a year.
- Quant Crunch | Data Science Job Market | Burning Glass Technologies Quant Crunch | Data Science Job Market | Burning Glass Technologies. (2020). Retrieved 15 August 2020, from https://www.burning-glass.com/research-project/quant-crunch-data-science-job-market/
- Data Analyst – Informatics And Systems in Canada | Job outlook. (2020). Retrieved 15 August 2020, from https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/outlook-occupation/17882/ca
- Database analysts and data administrators (2172) | Canada | LMI Explore | Outlooks. (2020). Retrieved 15 August 2020, from https://clmi-explore-icmt.ca/viz?page=outlooks&lang=en&noc=2172&geo=0